Sunday, July 18, 2010

Ski Movie Season... in July?!?!

This time every year, there's a nervous energy in the ski and snowboard community. But why you may ask? It's 90 degrees, I'm sunburned and my ice cream just melted in the two minutes it took to read this. Winter and sliding down the hill on skis is the furthest thing from your mind.

Well, that's true. But what every rider is greeted with in July is the release of the ski movie trailers. The 4 - 5 minute teasers that get you excited for the premieres in September. For those unfamiliar with how the ski and snowboard industries work, everything that you see that promotes skiing or snowboarding, was shot the previous winter. It takes the entire summer for that footage to make it's way through the editing boards and the printers, before it lands on your doorstep at the beginning of fall... just in time to get you excited for the coming winter.

So, without further ado, here are my current top 3 videos I'm most looking forward to seeing. In no particular order:

Matchstick Productions- The Way I See It.


Absinthe Films: NowHere.


Teton Gravity Research: Light the Wick.




There's no explanation needed for these films... they're just great works. Amazing riding, great locations, well edited, the full package deal. So enjoy. And to quote my friend Chris Rudolph, "If you need to reach me, you can find me in the walk in freezer waiting for next winter"!

No comments:

Post a Comment